Monday, October 29, 2007

#9 Feeding Frenzy

In order to make sense of more and more information, I looked into four tools, Feedster, Topix.net, Syndic8.com and Technorati. Of all of them, I was most impressed with Technorati as it was excellent at searching for photos and videos more than then others. I thought Feedster was good for its advanced search but it really needed it as a regular search bring up too much information. I did a search for "Belgium" looking for a good RSS site to get the latest news, but was overwelmed by investment banks. I could have used the advance search in eliminate banks, but I lost interest. Topix.net was great for seeing the news of cities and towns around the world but the real uniquness was the interactive graph that shows how often the term was in the news. For example, I searched "Croton" on Topix.net and there was a huge peak in April. When I clicked on that spike, I saw a list of topics about the great spring snow strom which was in the news at that time. Synic8 was OK, but I found little special from the other search tools.

No comments: